The International Dictionary of Refrigeration is now accessible online
The International Dictionary of Refrigeration is now online
A new service
Previously only available in paper format and in just 5 languages, the complete version of the International Dictionary of Refrigeration is now accessible online!
Available in 11 languages (English, French, German, Arabic, Chinese, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, Norwegian and Russian), this unique tool enables you to:
- find definitions (in English and French) of scientific and technical terms ;
- identify a term in the language of your choice and find corresponding translations in ten other languages.
Extended to a themed index
In the near future, the dictionary will be extended with a themed index to make it even easier to use. A responsive design will also be developed.
The dictionary in numbers :
- more than 4300 English and French terms, of which 800 are synonyms ;
- around 3500 English and French definitions ;
- in total, nearly 43,800 terms and their synonyms in 11 languages.
It is the result of work by nearly 200 experts, members of the IIF network, from around 30 countries throughout the world.
Content which encompasses all areas of refrigeration
The dictionary’s content covers all areas of refrigeration:
- basic principles (thermodynamics, transfer of heat and mass …)
- production of refrigeration (refrigerated systems, refrigerants…)
- refrigerated installations
- methods of chilling, refrigeration and freezing
- storage, transport and distribution
- refrigeration applications for perishable products and the agro-food industry
- air conditioning
- heat pumps
If you’re already a member of the IIR, you have direct access to the dictionary, just:
- Login to the website
- Go to the section Information services > International Dictionary of Refrigeration
Not an IIR member?