Discover the newly-elected IIR Section and Commission heads
In line with the International Congress of Refrigeration, the IIR is pleased to announce its new statutory body members. The institute is composed of 4 statutory bodies: the Science and Technology Council, the General Conference, the Executive Committee and the Management Committee, all of whom play a pivotal role in the running of the IIR. Following this year’s elections which take place every 4 years, the following members have been selected for the 2019-2023 period.
Science and Technology Council
The Science and Technology Council (STC) coordinates the scientific and technical activities of the IIR. These activities are divided into 10 commissions, which are organised into 5 sections. The STC comprises a president, 5 vice presidents and 10 commission presidents.
The STC now consists of 10 newly-elected members:
- Gérald Cavalier (France) new president of the STC
- Eckhard Achim Groll (USA) as president of Section B - Thermodynamics, equipment and systems
- Judith Evans (UK) as president of Section C - Biology and food technology
- Richard Lawton (UK) as president of Section D - Storage and transport
- Peng Zhang (China) as president of Commission A2 - Liquefaction & separation of gases
- Yunho Hwang (USA) as president of Commission B1 - Thermodynamics & transfer processes
- José Miguel Corberan (Spain) as president of Commission B2 - Refrigerating equipment
- Alain Le Bail (France) as president of Commission C2 - Food science and engineering
- Silvia Minetto (Italy) as president of Commission D2 - Refrigerated transport
- Jacques Guilpart (France) as the next IIR Congress liaison
As well as 7 council members who have been re-elected in their positions:
- Ralf Herzog (Germany) remains president of Section A - Cryogenics and liquefied gases
- Renato Lazzarin (Italy) remains president of Section E - Air conditioning, heat pumps, energy recovery
- Ales Srnka (Czech Republic) remains president of Commission A1 - Cryophysics, Cryoengineering
- Noboru Motomura (Japan) remains president of Commission C1 - Cryobiology, cryomedicine and health products
- Kuniaki Kawamura (Japan) remains president of Commission D1 - Refrigerated storage
- Xianting Li (China) remains president of Commission E1 - Air conditioning
- Alberto Coronas Salcedo (Spain) remains president of Commission E2 - Heat pumps, energy recovery
The General Conference of the IIR defines the IIR's general policy and is comprised of representatives appointed by Member Countries and meets once every 4 years during IIR International Congress of Refrigeration. This year, Min Soo Kim has been appointed as president of the General Conference.
The Executive Committee of the IIR, which meets once a year, handles the administrative and financial aspects of the Institute. Comprised of 1 delegate per Member Country, the president of the Executive Committee and the vice presidents are elected by the General Conference.
Following this year’s elections:
- Felix Ziegler (Germany) remains president of Executive Committee
- Noboru Kagawa (Japan) remains a vice president
- Radim Cermak (Czech Republic) newly-elected vice president
- Björn Palm (Sweden) newly-elected vice president
The Management Committee of the IIR meets at least twice a year and is responsible for management of the IIR. It comprises the President of the Executive Committee, who is automatically President of the Management Committee (Felix Ziegler), the president of the General Conference (Min Soo Kim), the president of the STC (Gérald Cavalier), three members who are elected by Executive Committee (Noboru Kagawa, Radim Cermak, Björn Palm), and three members who are elected by the Science and Technology Council (Judith Evans, Ralf Herzog, Renato Lazzarin).
The IIR is honoured to welcome both the newly-appointed, and re-elected statutory body members and would also like to thank the former 2015-2019 committee participants for their dedication to the role.