In 1921, with demand for fresh food rising fast, Paris built a refrigerated railway station, the Gare Frigorifique de Paris-Ivry: "Le Frigo" was born. Entire trains entered the huge building which was in fact a huge refrigerator. Large cold stores were used to store food until it was delivered to Les Halles, the city's main market, and large ice machines provided ice that kept the whole complex cold. The giant refrigerator was closed in 1971 following the transfer of the main market to the suburbs, and the building was then taken over by actors, artists and musicians. The street is still called "Rue des Frigos".