Cryoplane: a Russian-German cooperative venture. Cryogen fueled aircraft.
Type of article: Periodical article
Between 1990-92 German and Russian firms have cooperated in investigating cryogenic fuels for aircraft propulsion (liquid hydrogen and LNG). Because LNG is itself a fossil fuel, work has concentrated on liquid hydrogen. The Russian research aircraft Tu-155 has already tested both fuels. Both fuels have a higher energy to mass ratio than kerosene. LNG does not eliminate CO2 emissions, liquid hydrogen does, and might be generated by electrolysis using renewable energy, but due to high volume requires four times the kerosene tank capacity. These pressurized liquid hydrogen tanks would need to be circular and would best be accomodated at the top of the fuselage. Water vapour is a greenhouse gas but the effect at normal cruising altitude is less than CO2 from kerosene. D.W.H.
- Original title: Cryoplane: a Russian-German cooperative venture. Cryogen fueled aircraft.
- Record ID : 1995-0701
- Languages: English
- Subject: Environment
- Source: Dtsch. Aerosp. Airbus - 17 p.; 7 fig.; 1 tabl.
- Publication date: 1994
- Document available for consultation in the library of the IIR headquarters only.
See the source
Cryoplane: liquid hydrogen fueled commercial ai...
- Date : 1994
- Languages : German
- Source: Dtsch. Aerosp. Airbus - 19 p.; 30 fig.; 4 phot.; 1 tabl. (G)/15 p.; 10 fig.; 1 phot. (R-E).
Liquefied natural gas use in aircraft.
- Author(s) : VASIL'EV Ju. N., ZAJJCEV V. P.
- Date : 1992
- Languages : Russian
- Source: Gazov. Prom-st. - n. 10
Stand und Perspektiven der Kryotechnik im Einsa...
- Author(s) : DKV, BUENGER U., KESTEN M., WOLF J.
- Date : 1997/11/19
- Languages : German
- Source: DKV-Tagungsbericht 24. 1997, Hamburg.
Safety design of the cryogenic hydrogen system ...
- Author(s) : KATO T., ASO T., TATSUMOTO H., et al.
- Date : 2007
- Languages : Japanese
- Source: Journal of the Cryogenic Society of Japan - vol. 42 - n. 8
ANALYSIS OF 40 M3 LNG SPILL EXPERIMENTS.
- Author(s) : KOOPMAN R. P.
- Date : 1982
- Languages : English
- Source: Chem. Eng. Monogr. - 16; 43-83; 20 ref.