Hydrogen is recognized as a promising and attractive energy carrier to decarbonize the sectors responsible for global warming, such as electricity production, industry, and transportation. However, although hydrogen releases only water as a result of its reaction with oxygen through a fuel cell, the hydrogen production pathway is currently a challenging issue since hydrogen is produced mainly from thermochemical processes (natural gas reforming, coal gasification). On the other hand, hydrogen production through water electrolysis has attracted a lot of attention as a means to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by using low-carbon sources such as renewable energy (solar, wind, hydro) and nuclear energy. In this context, by providing an environmentally-friendly fuel instead of the currently-used fuels (unleaded petrol, gasoline, kerosene), hydrogen can be used in various applications such as transportation (aircraft, boat, vehicle, and train), energy storage, industry, medicine, and power-to-gas. This article aims to provide an overview of the main hydrogen applications (including present and future) while examining funding and barriers to building a prosperous future for the nation by addressing all the critical challenges met in all energy sectors.
- Original title: Hydrogen as a clean and sustainable energy vector for global transition from fossil-based to zero-carbon.
- Record ID : 30029254
- Languages: English
- Subject: Technology, Environment
- Source: Clean Technologies - 3 - 4
- Publishers: MDPI
- Publication date: 2021/12
- DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/cleantechnol3040051
See other articles in this issue (2)
See the source
Energija i okolis 2006. Medunarodni kongres: XX...
- Organiser : FRANKOVIC B.
- Date : 2006/10/25
- Languages : English
Fuel cell technology: the scope for building se...
- Author(s) : BSRIA, DTI, GALLIERS S.
- Date : 2003/12
- Languages : English
Solutions pour l'alimentation en énergie d'une ...
- Author(s) : BIANCHI A. M., CIOBÁNAS A.
- Date : 2001/11/28
- Languages : French
- Source: Eficienta, confort, conservarea energiei si protectia mediului. Volumul 1. Termodinamica si transfer de caldura. Conferinta a VIII-a, cu participare internationala.
Investigation regarding the operation of absorp...
- Author(s) : KIMIJIMA S., WARAGAI S., UEKUSA T., et al.
- Date : 2000
- Languages : Japanese
- Source: Transactions of the Japan Society of Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers - vol. 17 - n. 3
Le celle a combustible: il loro impiego nel cam...
- Author(s) : VIO M.
- Date : 2000/10
- Languages : Italian
- Source: Cond. Aria - vol. 44 - n. 10