High relative humidity (over 90%), and suitable temperatures are required in fruit and vegetable preservation. It is difficult for traditional cold stores to achieve this high humidity, resulting in moisture loss and a reduction in the quality of the fruit and vegetable. The authors have found a solution to this problem through the design of a new type of cooling device, using a mixture of water and ice as the cooling medium. The principle involves lowering the temperature of the cold store and increasing humidity at the same time by spraying water at 0°C with a special device. Heat transfer takes place between the water and air, allowing a high relative humidity (95% or even close to 100%) to be maintained inside the cold room. An experimental application has shown the approach to be effective. The technique is not only applicable to fresh fruit and vegetables, but also to other fresh products that require high humidity.
Pages: 7 p.
* Best rate depending on membership category (see the detailed benefits of individual and corporate memberships).
- Original title: Research into application of a new type of cooling device in high humidity cold stores.
- Record ID : 30001643
- Languages: English
- Source: Proceedings of the 23rd IIR International Congress of Refrigeration: Prague, Czech Republic, August 21-26, 2011. Overarching theme: Refrigeration for Sustainable Development.
- Publication date: 2011/08/21
See other articles from the proceedings (569)
See the conference proceedings
Controlled atmosphere plants. Indispensable ins...
- Author(s) : BUGLIA L.
- Date : 1994
- Languages : Italian
- Source: Industria & Formazione - vol. 18 - n. 2
Investigations of vegetables cold store with in...
- Author(s) : MIZERA G., BUTRYMOWICZ D., GAGAN J., et al.
- Date : 2015/08/16
- Languages : English
- Source: Proceedings of the 24th IIR International Congress of Refrigeration: Yokohama, Japan, August 16-22, 2015.
- Formats : PDF
Combatiendo los problemas de la humedad, la esc...
- Author(s) : HANKS C.
- Date : 2002/06
- Languages : Spanish
- Source: Frío Calor Aire acondicionado - vol. 30 - n. 338
Problems of building of refrigerated warehouses...
- Author(s) : EGLIT A. Â., KRUGLOV A. A., KATRAEV M. Û.
- Date : 2009
- Languages : Russian
- Source: Vestnik Mezdunarodarnoj Akademii Holoda - n. 1
New construction systems for cold stores for fr...
- Author(s) : BONSEMBIANTE E., BOSCHELLO R.
- Date : 1995/09
- Languages : English
- Source: ECO-CLIMA - n. 4